To all you elementary school teachers out there: do you need a great source to find printable children’s crossword puzzles? There is a site on the net called ABC Teach where teacher, parents, or babysitters can print out crosswords of various topics and difficulty levels for children of all ages from kindergarten to eighth grade.
About ABC Teach
ABC Teach serves as a remote resource for teachers, education majors, and parents to access ready-to-print, quality educational material for children. It was created in 2000 by Sandy Kemsley, a Michigan elementary school teacher of 26 years who endeavored offering teaching aids online after her retirement. It offers over 5,000 documents suitable for children from preschool level to eighth grade. ABC Teach also offers material for homeschooled children, kids with special educational needs, the deaf, seniors who need retraining after strokes, and university professors teaching methodology courses.
ABC Teach Offers Printable Crosswords
For anyone using a computer with Adobe Acrobat Reader, they are free to click on a link and print out a puzzle. A huge assortment of them available to even non-members based on subjects indicated in their link title. Examples of subjects include homophones, seasons, sports, countries, plants, animals, holidays, science, word usage, and more. Not only are they available in English, but Spanish too. Once a link is chosen, the children’s crossword puzzle loads onto their screen in .PDF format and is ready to print. The answers to each puzzle are simply printed out on a separate page.
Users are free to create their own crossword puzzles based on supplied subjects only. Anyone using this feature can create puzzles in a variety of colors, fonts, and font sizes as well as adding their own custom instructions. Members can make their own custom crosswords with its online program.
Being a member of ABC Teach has exceptional features
While there is plenty of free material for non-members, this site offers many benefits to those who are members:
- Over 35,000 pages of printable worksheets, with more materials added each week.
- Broad range of subjects, levels, and categories as listed on their site.
- New materials added weekly to reflect current events and seasonal topics.
- An extensive educational clip art collection that will add color to your classroom.
- No advertising on the member site.
- Customer service representatives who are always available to address your concerns and requests.
With this extensive range of material, no teacher or teacher’s assistant will run out of puzzles or word games to give their children. More materials are added on a weekly basis for both free access and members.
Obtaining a membership (or software license) is around $40 (but may change with time) for 1 year for group sizes of less than 10 members. The overall membership rate decreases with larger groups. Their price list and benefits are stated and payable by credit card or check.
Other Material Offered By ABC Teach
In addition to children’s crossword puzzles, ABC Teach offers a wide array of other kinds of puzzles and word games. This site offers handwriting worksheets, word searches, word unscrambles, math worksheets, Sudoku, spelling lists, ABC sorts, bingo games, and more. If you want to keep up to date with all it has to offer simply visit the site and subscribe to its newsletter.
- Cozy Up to Our FabSugar Fashion Crossword! (fabsugar.com)
- Crossword puzzles without a pencil (respublica.typepad.com)
- Student Crossword | U.S. Presidents (learning.blogs.nytimes.com)
- New York Times’ Crosswords Going Premium-Premium, Even for Subscribers (observer.com)
- The Ron Paul Crossword Puzzle (lewrockwell.com)